Activant Java Catalog Chalk Talks
After being turned loose for six months to duplicate in Java and Swing
the functionality of the company's Windows/C++ automotive parts catalog,
I was charged with explaining the design and principles of that application
to a team of experienced software engineers with little or no knowledge of Java.
I did so in a series of one-to-two hour "Chalk Talks" which I presented over the course of two weeks.
These are the slides I used in that series.
Some of this material applies only to Activant's specific application,
but much of it applies to all Java and Swing applications,
and some applies to all event-driven desktop applications regardless of language.
- Chalk Talk 1: List Cell Renderers, List Models, and Scroll Panes
- Chalk Talk 2: Events, Actions, Menus, Buttons, and Chain of Command
- Chalk Talk 3: Lookups, Lookup Dialog and Toolbars, Servers, Data
- Chalk Talk 4: Pluggable Look and Feel, Themes, UIs, and Factories
- Chalk Talk 5: Modal Dialogs, Questions and Answers, and Layout Managers
- Chalk Talk 6: Labor Data, Buyer Assist, and Interprocess Communication
- Chalk Talk 8: Threading, Collections, Java I/O, and Tools
- Further Links: Links to Other Documentation