Certain files go in particular directories:
Servlet containers such as Tomcat will automatically:
- JSP and static files (*.html, *.gif, etc.) go in the document root directory.
- Other files go in the WEB-INF directory, which is hidden from the client.
- The web.xml deployment descriptor goes in the WEB-INF directory
- Java classes go in the classes directory, or its sub directories.
- Jar files go in the lib directory.
- Read the deployment descriptors on startup.
- Discover lib/JAR files and add them to the classpath.
- Reload Java classes whenever their timestamp changes.